What Is Uber Health? How Does It Work?
When you click on the affiliate links on our website, we sometimes get paid. Many people who need health care can’t make it to every doctor’s appointment, which is a shame. Every year, over 3.5 million Americans can’t get to their doctor’s appointments or wait to get medical care because they can’t find a way to get there.
To help solve this problem, Uber made a system called Uber Health. It’s a system that helps doctors and patients who have trouble getting good transportation to and from each appointment solve all their problems. Doctors will have an easy way to call for rides for their patients.
Their patients don’t have to do anything but get in and out of each Uber ride their doctor sends them. Uber drivers also benefit from Uber Health because it makes more people want to take Uber rides. If you want to learn more about Uber Health, here is a full guide to everything you need to know.
What’s Uber Health?
Uber Health is a service that helps people get to and from doctor’s appointments and other medical procedures. Uber drivers give the rides, but the people who get picked up and dropped off aren’t the ones who book the rides ahead of time. Health systems sign in to the program and arrange for their patients to take each required ride. Also, they are the ones who pay for each ride.
It’s something extra they can do for their clients. We must clarify that medical providers (like doctor’s offices) sign up to use Uber Health, not patients. The doctors’ offices set up patients’ rides, and regular Uber drivers pick them up. This isn’t medical transport like an ambulance; it’s more like Veyo, basic mass transit to and from medical appointments.
How do I use Uber Health?
Since Uber Health is so different from other Uber services like UberX and Uber Eats, let’s go over how it all works.
Uber realized that many people couldn’t get the medical care they needed because they couldn’t get to their doctor’s office on time. Uber already knows how to solve this problem. So, a new idea came into being. Uber started giving doctors and their patients a reliable option that helps everyone. When people have to cancel appointments, it hurts more than just the patients.
When a few patients don’t show up every week, it makes it hard for the doctors to run their offices well. When Uber discovered these two big problems, it realized its service was already the best solution. From there, all Uber had to do was figure out how to use technology to link a doctor’s office to the Uber app. In March 2018, the company added the program as one of its new features.
- Several things make Uber Health appealing to both doctors and patients.
- Patients don’t have to put the Uber Health app on their phones.
- They can still use the service even if they don’t have a smartphone.
- Uber will tell them about each ride by sending them a text message or calling their home phone.
- Everyone can use flexible ride scheduling options.
- As a doctor, you can either order a ride for a patient immediately or set up a ride for later.
- You can set up a ride with Uber Health 30 days in advance.
- The health providers’ portal lets them a book, change, and look at patient rides from one dashboard.
- Uber fixed HIPAA problems by ensuring that all Uber Health information about rides is only stored on the client side.
- All of the data is also stored on servers that follow HIPAA rules.
- Uber does this because each healthcare provider signs a Business Associate Agreement (BAA) with them.
- The Uber Health dashboard is where doctors can handle billing.
- All reports are in one place in the billing portal, and bills are paid once a month.
- Uber even has API technology that health providers can use to connect the Uber Health app’s features to the CRM software that doctors already use.
What Makes Uber and Uber Health Different
Uber Health is different from all of Uber’s other services in a big way. People use the Uber app to order UberX or Uber Black rides for themselves. People who are hungry use the Uber Eats app to order the food they want.
Patients who require rides to and from a doctor’s office don’t order the rides. The doctor instead joins Uber Health. The service lets each doctor order and pay for rides for their patients, so they don’t miss important appointments.
Who can get Uber Health?
Uber Health can be used by anyone, as long as it’s at your doctor’s office. Uber Health can help doctors help their patients get rides to and from the office. Doctors can use the Uber Health Dashboard by signing up for the service. This is how they will set up Uber rides for one‘s patients.
There are many benefits if you work in health care and want to use Uber Health.
- Less loss of experience because fewer appointments are canceled, and more patients show up.
- Use the dashboard for ridesharing to set up a convenient schedule. You, your employees, or your coordinators can keep track of all the rides that Uber gives patients. It’s also easy to change trip plans.
- Help people with problems they don’t know how to solve.
- Using an ambulance or other traditional means of transportation is more expensive than using Uber Health and its ridesharing service.
- You can easily add Uber Health to your existing healthcare systems using the API.
So, if you need to get to and from your doctor’s appointments often, you should ask your doctor if those who offer Uber Health. Doctors’ offices may ask patients not to use the service if they already have a way to get to their appointments, but this is up to them.
Where can you use Uber Health?
Uber doesn’t tell you which cities have Uber Health. At health.uber.com, you need to make an account. The most notable distinction between the two sign-up portals is that Uber Central allows you to add a second passenger to each trip to or from your business. Once you’ve set up an account with Uber Health, the service’s availability will show up.
Advantages of Using Uber for Medical Transportation
When you use Uber Health’s medical transport feature, there are two main benefits for you as a patient. For these rides, you don’t have to pay anything. Also, you don’t have to worry about whether or not a friend or family member will be able to take you to the doctor.
Your doctor will take care of everything. The problem of how to get to doctors’ appointments is solved for good! If you’re a doctor and you use Uber Health, you’ll be able to run your office more smoothly and have fewer patients cancel on you.
How much will Uber Health cost?
It’s hard to give you an accurate estimate of how much Uber Health will cost. It depends on the number of patients you utilize the service, their distance from your clinic, and the total number of trips ordered through the app each month. Uber calculates the price of each trip based on how many miles it is, how long it will take, how busy the roads are, and how many drivers are available.
Can you use the Uber app to access Uber Health?
No, you can’t find the Uber Health option in the regular Uber app. Instead, go to health.uber.com to get to Uber Health. That’s the HIPPA-compliant website Uber made for doctors to schedule Uber rides for their patients.
Now that you understand everything there is to know about Uber Health, you should start using it. Open an Uber Health account as a doctor and start helping your patients get rides. If you have trouble getting to your appointments, ask your doctor if you can use Uber Health.